Friday, October 10, 2014

Recent Redesign - Pre-teen Bedroom

 Pre-Teen Bedroom Redesign:

 This was a "weekend" project commanded, er, I mean, commissioned by a close friend for her daughter. It started as a quick consult and snowballed into a one week whirlwind surprise with me doing my best drill sergeant "cut the clutter" routine.  (She'll have my head for saying that if she's reading this). Much of the changes to the room came from space planning, color coordinating and layout and since turnaround was fast, there were a few well-intentioned ideas that went unfinished like roman shades. The room has a steep roof-line and boxed out vent shafts to work around, so I played with the layout a bit. By moving the bed to the wall it's on, we gave the funky spaces on either side of the bedroom more purpose. The area with the mirror (where the bed used to be) is now a dressing area with a large bureau (off camera) and a small bookcase for accessories.
 On the opposite side of the room under the roofline, we added low shelves with easy-to-access bins of different colors for clothing and smaller storage needs. To the right of and perpendicular to the low under-eave shelves is a hanging rod making that entire under eave area one big open closet.

Just outside of the bedroom was a makeshift work and play area. The ledge under the window was used as a storage shelf and a small table in front of it doubled for a desk. Since she wanted a new desk for the space anyway and her daughter loves crafts, I suggested making the area a designated craft table with use of the ledge as a windowseat. I love big desks for working. I like to spread out and craft projects need that kind of workable space. The desk is Ikea as are the pink acrylic scoop chairs (which I love). 

 More than workable space, though, pre-teens and teens need "hang-outs", so the alcove facing the craft table got some low zebra chairs, a fuzzy pink rug and a newly painted white gloss side table.

Due to time constraints and the impending arrival of the daughter, we had to leave some of the "polishing" for a later date. I'd have tweaked the bookshelves within an inch of their life had I time and we'd have cleared out more around the craft table given days and nights of "do I really need all 50 shades of that blue paper?" conversation. (She'll have my head for sure after that comment).

Check back in soon. I hope to be posting more shortly. In between orchestrating my 4 kid's extra-curriculars, resolving homework headaches and working on some new and very exciting design projects,  I will be updating our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment